Features Of uTorrent
The free version of uTorrent allows you to download and distribute files on BitTorrent networks by adding downloads from .torrent files and Magnet links. However, all settings/parameters/options are available in the free version of the application. They determine the functionality of the torrent client:
- The ability to manually set the network port for incoming/outgoing connections, use UPnP and/or NAT-PMP forwarding, use a proxy server and other tools to bypass the blocking of BitTorrent networks by the provider, system administrator, etc.
- Manual adjustment of incoming/outgoing download/distribution speed, limitation of the number of peers (connections), total amount of transmitted/received traffic.
- The presence of various settings for the behavior of the program in BitTorrent networks: enabling/ disabling the DHT network, supporting UDP trackers, scrape requests, exchanging peers, searching for local peers, etc.
- Enable/disable encryption when working in BitTorrent networks.
- The presence of a download scheduler, with which the user can limit the speed of downloading / distributing files during the set hours of certain days of the week.
- Remote management of downloads/distributions through the web interface of the program from anywhere in the world.
- Create your own distributions of any files stored on your computer, in a local network, FTP storage.
- Connection to RSS feeds with the ability to automatically download the distributions added to them in accordance with the filter settings.
- Set the priority level of downloads and much more.
Features Of uTorrent Pro Version
The paid version of the uTorrent program is not only exempt from built-in advertising banners, but also has such additional functions as:
- Play video/audio from torrent files and Magnet links without downloading entire files.
- The presence of a virus and malware protection module (scanning of downloaded files is performed on the uTorrent server).
- The presence of a built-in converter of media files to various formats supported by mobile devices.
- The presence of a built-in VPN-client, through which all downloaded/ distributed files are received and transmitted.
uTorrent Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
How to add downloads to uTorrent?
There are two ways to add downloads to the uTorrent torrent client:
- Find and download a file with the extension “.torrent” on the Internet, click on it twice with the mouse or in the “File” menu select “Add torrent…” and then point to the downloaded torrent file in the window that opens.
- Click on the site from where the torrent file is downloaded, on the Magnet link (usually present), as a result of which uTorrent should automatically start. If it does not start, copy the Magnet link, then in uTorrent open the “File” menu, select “Add torrent from URL…” and paste the previously copied Magnet link into the window that opens.
Do I need to buy uTorrent Pro Version?
It is not neccesary to buy uTorrent pro version. The pro version of the uTorrent torrent client has additional features, which are paid. For example, when subscribing to uTorrent Pro + VPN, the user additionally receives services from the VPN service “CyberGhost VPN”, as well as an automatic means of checking downloaded files for malicious software in them.
The free version of uTorrent has no restrictions on functionality, but it has built-in advertising, which, if necessary, you can remove yourself.
How to remove ads from uTorrent?
To remove ads from the interface of the uTorrent program, you need to perform the following actions:
- Open the program settings with the key combination “Ctrl + P”.
- In the left part of the settings window, open the “Advanced” section.
- In the right part of the settings window, various parameters will be displayed, including those responsible for advertising in the interface.
- In the “Filter” text box, enter “offers” without quotation marks.
- Next, you need to replace “true” with “false” for the following found parameters (click on the specified parameter and set “NO” at the bottom of the settings window):
When the settings are complete, click the “Apply” button, then restart the torrent client (you may not need to restart).
Why do I have a slow download speed via uTorrent?
The speed of downloading files from a peer-to-peer BitTorrent network depends on several factors (in addition to your Internet access speed):
- The number of users who distribute the file you download from their computer (the so-called “siders”).
- Internet access speeds for distributing users. It is not necessary that all siders have broadband Internet. If there are a lot of giveaways, then your download speed will be equal to the sum of the distribution speed of all siders.
- Limiting the speed of file uploads set by the siders (every user of the uTorrent program can limit it in his torrent client).
- Set limits on the speed of downloading files from BitTorrent networks by your Internet provider or system administrator (if the download occurs, for example, from the office).
Also, the slow download speed can be associated with the settings of the uTorrent client itself. You can check whether the download speed limit is set in the “Speed” section of the settings menu (to enter it, press the key combination “Ctrl + P”): in the “General reception rate limit” block, next to the “Max. download speed” should be set to “0”.
Why did my uTorrent download stop?
Downloading torrent files is carried out from the computers of other users of BitTorrent networks. If at a given time among the distributing users (siders) there is no one who downloaded the torrent file 100%, then your download will stop.
To see the percentage of downloads of users from whom you are currently downloading files, select the downloadable torrent in the main window of the program, then at the bottom of the window click the “Peers” tab. The “%” column will show the readiness to download the selected torrent for all users who download the same file.
Is it possible to continue a torrent download if uTorrent has been reinstalled?
To do this, you will need to open the same .torrent file or Magnet link in the uTorrent program, and when specifying the path to save the downloads, you need to specify the folder to which the interrupted download took place. A sign that the download is continuing will be a preliminary “File Check” – a procedure that the uTorrent torrent client automatically performs when the previously stopped download continues.
How to fix the error “A newer version of uTorrent is already running”?
This error usually occurs after a manual update of uTorrent, i.e. when the user downloaded a new version of the installer of the program and installed it on top of the already installed version of the torrent client. There are other possible reasons – for example, when uTorrent automatically starts when the computer starts in the background without visible windows and the user tries to add a torrent to the program by double-clicking on the .torrent file.
In any case, the best way to resolve this error is to completely reinstall the client. To do this, you first need to uninstall the already installed version of uTorrent, and it is advisable to do this so that there are no traces of the client on the computer, in particular, entries in the registry.
To perform such a “clean uninstall” of the program, we recommend using the appropriate utilities and instructions for uninstalling applications. You can also manually clean the registry from the entries left by uTorrent using the Windows system application “Registry Editor” (Regedit.exe).